Saturday, November 12, 2011

The amazing Holzarte bridge


The Holzarte bridge was cast across the Olhadubi canyon as early as 1922 by two Italians that were interested in exploring the forest. (It was rebuilt in 2010 after the storm Xynthia had damaged it).

About 180 metres above the ground, I thought it would impress my children. And me. I suffer from vertigo and I honestly wasn't sure I would be able to cross the bridge....

This is mid-november but with unusually high temperatures (around 22 I believe). The hike was extra, the beauty of the landscape was only enhanced by the autumn colors and the lack of leaves. It took us an hour to get up to the bridge, partly on a steep path with slippery stones, with a couple of breaks to drink and have some chocolate... my children are launching their hiking careers and I find it very important that they connect hikes with pleasure!

(The path is not protected at all and most of the time it lies on the brink to precipices... at the same time it is pretty large and it didn't feel too dangerous). 

The first part longs the river



Steady upwards...

Colors!!



Do you see the bridge?


The white dot: my son


Picnic time

Going back on slippery stones

You start the hike from Logibar, 8 km after Licq in the Soule Valley in the Pays Basque.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Please say hello! It is so nice to see if somebody has read a post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails